Highschool Endorsements

Blakely Duke

A middle school teacher mentions picking an endorsement for high school. An 8th grade student responds, “What’s that? I have no idea what that is.” This student is not alone. Most incoming freshmen have not heard about selecting an endorsement which serves as a graduation plan. Students must select an endorsement in the ninth grade. 

A high school endorsement is graduation plan specified to a particular content area that offers a series of in depth courses.  Endorsements are grouped together by interest or skill set. They provide students with in depth knowledge of a subject area. Students are able to earn one or more endorsements.

Students can choose from 5 endorsement areas: Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics, Business and Industry, Public Service, Arts and Humanities, and Multidisciplinary Studies. Districts are not required to offer all endorsements. If only one endorsement is offered, it must be multidisciplinary studies. The students earn an endorsement by completing the curriculum requirements for the endorsement, including 4th credit of math and science and 2 additional elective credits. 

Most of the very best jobs available now and in the future require education and training beyond a high school diploma. Whether you intend to pursue a high demand, industry workforce credential from a community or technical college or a traditional four year degree from a university, the choices made in high school will determine your future options. Selecting an endorsement is one of those choices. With the endorsement offering specific courses to a specialized area, students are being prepared and developing necessary prerequisite skills for life after high school whether that is college, university, trade, or military options. 

One important side not is that the Distinguished Level of Achievement (level of endorsement plan) will allow you to compete for top 10% automatic admissions eligibility at any Texas public university; position among those first in line for a TEXAS Grant to help pay for university tuition and fees; and ensure you are a more competitive applicant at the most selective colleges and universities. This is important because this level of achievement opens a world of educational and employment opportunities for you beyond high school.